6.01.2009

Class

I often say that if I could be a student for the rest of my life, I'd be infinitely happy. I'm slowly but surely starting to realize that I'm already there; it looks nothing like I'd pictured. Yet, I wouldn't change it for anything.

Recently, I learned how to paint on a silkscreen with photo emulsion and I practiced my registration abilities.

I started with two copies of a photograph I took a few weeks ago as a reference while painting the screen.

Planning a two colour print, I painted where I did and didn't want the ink to print, then coated with emulsion.

I ended up with this:

I can't say I'm in love with this project as a whole, as the product feels a bit flat for my liking.

I do, however, enjoy the texture of the post against the blue background.

Who knows though if I'll use it for another project in the future? Regardless, I'm now able to appreciate the joy of mixing the perfect chocolate brown ink (I haven't mixed brown by hand for years). And, I have a much better understanding of why registration is a challenge to say the least.

Viva student life.

2 comments: