6.02.2009

The Jennifer Demographic

Once, I was in a Can Lit class with a total of 8 Jennifers, myself included. I knew there were a tonne of Jennifers born in and around the same time as me, though I had no idea there were more than a million of us! It may not be due specifically to my common name, but I've developed some hard and fast rules about my name including but not limited to
  1. Jen should always be spelled with one n. I think the extra n in Jenn is redundant and things in groups of three are always more pleasing;
  2. Jenny is not my nickname. I've met two people in the world who can call me that without triggering my gag reflex and my mother is already one of them. If I ever meet a third, I'll probably wind up marrying them.
I already adore the concept of this book, but then, I'm clearly biased.
More than a million of us were dubbed Jennifer within the span of just fifteen years. From a place of relative obscurity, the name grew on a wave of sudden and unprecedented popularity. We’re starting to learn that the effects of this phenomenon were not entirely trivial. Now as an adult, Jennifer has become targeted as the highly sought after demographic of Generation X. In the business press, we are actually known as The Jennifer Demographic or Jen-eration and are told that “focus should be almost entirely on Jennifer right now as habits of all other segments pale in comparison to hers.”

Most of us have some desire to feel unique, as though we have some authentic expression that is exclusively our own. So when the culture spins out the next trend based on you and your name, it is difficult to make sense of what is genuine. Maybe one truth that my Jen-eration makes visible is the simple reminder that we act collectively, often without even knowing it. Done with the right spirit, this can sometimes be the only way to act. —Jennifer Khoshbin


Jen11 by eleven artists named Jennifer

The book was designed by the Canadian book design company UPPERCASE and looks to be another exquisite edition to their portfolio.

P.S. I'm convinced that the song "Jennifer Juniper" is part of the reason for the prevalence of the name. Have you ever seen Election? It closes the film perfectly.

source: UPPERCASE

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I wish my brother hadn't broken my 45 of Jennifer Juniper, back in, oh, 1978 or so. I'm with you on "Jen," and I can separate the people in my life who met me prior to high school easily from the people who met me high school or later, since NO ONE would dare call me "Jenny" unless they were related to me or from my childhood.

    We need some kind of international sisterhood thing, don't we?

    I'm too old for Jennifer Juniper to have been an influence on my parents; my mom wanted to name me Guinevere but hated the nickname Gwen (and back in the 60s, parents didn't exert the control they do now over how their children's names are used)....

    ReplyDelete