12.13.2009

Escapes installed, check. Taken down, check.

The short but sweet installation Escapes went really smoothly this weekend at City of Craft. It was an exhaustive joy to finish the piece and see people interact with it. The most satisfying part was talking with strangers about work and understanding that the concept makes sense to outsiders, too.

The most fun was seeing the lovely community in Toronto where art meets craft. There are insanely talented and supportive people who occupy this space and I'm happy to be a part of it in a small way. The entire experience has given me even more fuel to keep producing.

The fly by the seat of our pants strategy that Laurie and I employed throughout this process worked really well for us! I was really proud of the results and even happier with how we reached the end product without a major catastrophe throughout the collaboration. In fact, the experience has given me lots of confidence to keep on.

And, even though the idea of cutting out another fire escape silhouette makes my hands hurt, I'm fairly certain that my obsession with fire escapes has not nearly been satiated. We'll see how it all unfolds.

Here are some shots of the installation. Trying to explain how everything was situated makes my head throb, but hopefully this shows a bit of how it actually looked. I saw many people taking photos of it, so hopefully someone got at least one shot that pulls the components together.




1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thanks for showing those photos. The work looks amazing! I wish I was there to experience it. :) I love how that projection of the fire escapes with the light!

    ReplyDelete