3.30.2010

More Chicago collage

I've continued to play around with my Marina City building images from last year. As with most things that I do, the process seems very slow. Unlike the rest of my life, which seems to move quickly at times, I take full liberty to move as slowly as I feel like my personal projects deserve. I'm at a bit of a standstill right now, as I've been working through translating the photo to a collage to a screen print and now am not quite sure how I should finish.

I've learned a tonne about screen printing so far, though! Right now I want to introduce the right amount of depth to the final images so that the image sits comfortably on the plane between real and abstract. Hopefully I'll make some more progress in the coming months and if I happen upon a solution I'm really excited about, I'll be sure to share.
Source photo taken in Chicago last year.



































Resulting collage that took what seemed like forever!


Rubylith stencil based on shapes inspired from the collage.

A screen print done with three layers of Rubylith stencils and doodles over the ink.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Jen,

    I stumbled across this while idly hopping around facebook, and I really like what you've created here. Skimming through a few recent posts that highlight your own work, it looks like you're doing well as a designer/artist. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The collage is wonderful. What are you using... coloured paper or other photos?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Neither: I work with found paper mostly. This one is made of old magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reduce, reuse, recycle...TERRIFIC!!!

    Thanks for the answer
    :)

    ReplyDelete