5.04.2009

Recommended


I caught the Canadian premier of Hustwit's documentary Objectified last night at Hot Docs. Although I can't say I was as enamoured with the director's latest offer as his previous doc, Helvetica, it was a great wake up call to start to take time and observe the designed beauty of objects we take for granted everyday. When was the last time you gave props to your favourite potato peeler or ice cream scooper?

My favourite part of the doc was Hustwit's showcase of how people react to design and alter objects with which we aren't completely happy. I love fixing things to meet my own needs. From a simple re-jig at the shoemaker of my new shoes to jamming paper beer coasters underneath wobbly table legs, creating easy solutions makes me incredibly happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment