8.25.2009

work escape




Work is slow right now, which I'm doing my best to be thankful for. I'm trying to use my time wisely so, I decided to keep going with my fire escape paper cuttings. I'm toying with the idea of using the laser cutter at the workroom to cut multiples because each one done by hand takes about 30 minutes and strains my hands like a mofo. We'll see if it's worth the time/money. I think that if I resort to the laser cutter the cuttings will lose their preciousness, because isn't anything done by hand exponentially better? On the other hand, worlds will open up if I can automate the process. (Somewhat similar to printmaking.)

By now, people at work are used to me cooking up what they deem as strange projects. The questions tend to go like this:

Them: What are you doing?
Me: I'm cutting out fire escapes.
Them: Why?
Me: Just because. For me.
Them: Oh. It looks cool.

Though, the best comment by far was "everyone needs a fire escape." I agree!

3 comments:

  1. Very cool fire escapes. I just read Aprile's blog and thought i would come and visit you. such a great blog for sure! and i love your exploration of death. glad i can to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Jen. I prefer hand-cut too - it means more, maybe because you can't use your hand for an hour afterwards ;) Okay, only joking... but yes, it just has more meaning, doesn't it? I'm struggling with a stencil of straight lines for screen printing at the moment... the gradual deterioration of my right hand is a worry... ;) Your fire escape looks amazingly precise. K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen!

    I really enjoy your blog! I particularly love these fire escapes!! It's kind of hard to tell...are they designs of yours, or are they enlarged reproductions from books, magazines, etc? Awesome.

    I'd love to talk to you a bit more about them, and I have a proposition for you! Would you mind emailing me? (I tried to find your email online, but couldn't...)

    cleanteen(at)hotmail(dot)COM

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete